Years ago, as a young adult, I looked around and noticed something about many of the "real adults" I worked with.
No one seemed particularly happy.
It wasn't that they were having a bad day, per se. It was more like they had this sort of grey-ish cloud looming overhead pretty much every day. They may not have been downright miserable (some I'm guessing were), but they just didn't seen to be enjoying their work -- or their lives -- much at all.
I coined a term for these people, and I've been using it ever since:
MHAB -- Marginally Happy at Best
An MHAB is someone who is trudging through life as if it's a chore (because, it is).
An MHAB is feeling stuck, but maybe doesn't know how to make things better, or what to even focus on next.
Some MHABs have even decided there's probably not a lot of hope, or time, or possibility to make their careers, their situations, their paychecks, their lives much better ... and so they do nothing.
There are lots and lots of MHABs out there. I see them every day. I work with some of them (and help them find a path out of their MHAB-ness.)
Are you an MHAB?
Are you spending every day with that dull toothache of discontent, but maybe feeling super scared to pull the tooth -- because you don't know how much it'll cost, or how much it'll hurt, or how much disruption it will cause to your life, or if it'll be better once you give it a yank?
I was an MHAB. I coined the term and, at age 33, I assigned it to myself.
After longer-than-I-care-to-admit, I yanked the tooth and dramatically shifted my career into what, today, is JobJenny.com.
It was challenging. It was scary. I questioned my sanity from time to time.
But then guess what? Things started to gain momentum. Things started to work. The "wound" of the toothache healed. Today? I wonder how I ever even lived with the toothache for so long in the first place.
Are you ready to get rid of the toothache?
If you're ready to get rid of the constant, dull pain of discontent and find a career that will be more meaningful, more challenging, more lucrative or more fulfilling, consider enlisting the help of 16 of the industry's best career change leaders as you contemplate and plot your your own career pivot.
Last 5 Days for PivotPlus
We're nearing the end of Pivot Assembly. If you were among the 3,000+ people who joined us for the live event last week (thank you!) you probably caught a few of the how-to video sessions with people like Pamela Slim, Scott Barlow, Miriam Salpeter, Paul Angone, Ash Ambirge and, yes, me.
For those who want unlimited access to all 16 of these "how to pivot" video conversations (geared toward both "traditional" and more entrepreneurial types) PLUS a book, course or other career change resource from every one of our expert contributors ($2,698 worth!), consider investing in PivotPlus.
Until 11:59 p.m. ET on Monday, Sept. 25, you can snag PivotPlus for just $179 (which is 93% off the price you'd pay if you bought each item separately).
After that, the program closes forever.
Note that our Weekend Resume Makeover Course (reg. $229) is part of PivotPlus.
So, instead of paying $229 for just that one resource, you can get step-by-step resume guidance PLUS 15 additional career pivot tools for $179.
Here are the video (& audio) conversations that are included:
- Paul Angone: getting unstuck at work
- Scott Barlow: building out your pivot strategy
- Jenny Blake: successfully pivoting to a new industry
- Laura Simms: why you shouldn’t follow your passion – and what to do instead
- Jenny Foss: making yourself “make sense” on paper (when shifting your career)
- Crystal Marsh: making a pivot as a Millennial
- Miriam Salpeter: using social media to propel your career forward
- SheNegotiates: negotiating your best deal
- Pamela Slim: finding the thread that ties your work together
- Tara Gentile: launching an idea-driven business
- Emilie Wapnick: career tips for multi-passionate people
- Michelle Ward: what to expect as a new entrepreneur
- Danielle Spurge: the best way to start a handmade business
- Jennifer Lee: business plans for creatives
- April Bowles-Olin: non-sleazy marketing
- Ash Ambirge: packaging your big idea / nailing the messaging
And here's a list of the additional tools inside of PivotPlus:
- Jenny Foss: The Weekend Resume Makeover Course ($229 value)
- Scott Barlow: Figure Out What Fits Course ($397 value)
- Paul Angone: Signature Sauce Course + Community Membership ($149 value)
- She Negotiates: Career Oxygen: How to Breathe Life Into Your Career Story and Land the Job/Promotion ($495 value)
- Crystal Marsh: 3 Steps to Entrepreneurial Success for Millennials (Exclusive! $197 value)
- Emilie Wapnick: How to Be Everything: Bonus Interviews (Exclusive! $57 value)
- Ash Ambirge: Unf*ckwithable Words (300+ expert written business scripts) ($97 value)
- Laura Simms: The Purpose Paradigm ($15 value)
- Jenny Blake: Delegation Ninja Course ($297 value)
- April Bowles-Olin: Marketing for Creatives and Plan Your Content Calendar for the Next Year ($46 value)
- Tara Gentile: The New Economy & Your Money Virtual Conference (Exclusive! $97 value)
- Jennifer Lee: The Right-Brain Business Plan Home Study ($147 value)
- Miriam Salpeter: Social Media Help Desk ($249 value)
- Pam Slim: Giant Client Magnet ($99 value)
- Danielle Spurge: How to Get Featured on Etsy: A Strategy + Awareness Guide for Sellers ($30 value)
- Michelle Ward: Unveiling Your Business Uniquity – & Making It The Foundation of Your Brand Live Webinar (Exclusive! $97 value)
If you're thinking that it's time to live bigger, live more challenged, live without the gosh-darned toothache going on every day of your flippin' life, consider investing $179 in yourself.
Your opportunity to learn from (and be inspired by) 16 of the most respected career change (and business building) leaders out there (at a 93% savings) is here until 11:59 p.m. ET on Monday, 9/25.
Photo: Flickr Creative Commons (Centro Guel)